Archive for the ‘Practice Updates’ Category
To make it even easier for you to reach us
Both before and after your visit
Please sign up with Klara!
Notalgia Paresthetica is a common, but often unrecognized condition. Patients present with itchy skin, often on one side of their mid back. Some patients also experience pain, paresthesias, and altered sensation to touch.
Treatments currently offered are varied and include topical steroids, topical anesthetics, antihistamines, and acupuncture. Some doctors suggest not treating the condition as it is a “harmless condition”, but many patients find it to be disruptive and uncomfortable.
We have piloted a new option – using Massage Track to help relieve the intense itching, while avoiding the trauma of scratching and rubbing skin. Massage Track is an innovative tool that allows patients to precisely and easily apply pressure to any location on the body. By manipulating the firmness of the Massage ball and the location of the pressure, patients can substitute the “scratching cycle” for a “massage cycle” while applying emollients to the skin.
We have found that utilizing this tool has resulted in dramatic relief of the itch, and contributes to healing of the otherwise thickened and darkened skin.
Choosing the right sunscreen can be quite difficult with all the choices out there. We use sunscreen to block ultraviolet light from damaging the skin. There are two categories of UV light — UVA and UVB. UVA is responsible for aging the skin, while UVB are the rays that burn the skin.
What is SPF?
SPF, or Sun Protection Factor, is a measure of how well a sunscreen will protect skin from UVB rays, the kind of radiation that causes sunburn, damages skin, and can contribute to skin cancer. If your skin would normally burn after 10 minutes in the sun, applying an SPF 15 sunscreen would allow you to stay in the sun without burning for approximately 150 minutes (a factor of 15 times longer).
The SPF (Sun Protection Factor) scale is not linear:
• SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays
• SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays
• SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays
So which sunscreen is best for you?
In addition to an SPF of at least 30, your sunscreen should include some combination of the following UVA-blocking ingredients: zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone, ecamsule, and oxybenzone. Sunscreens with both UVA and UVB protection may be labeled multi spectrum, broad spectrum, or UVA/UVB protection.
For children or adults with sensitive skin, buy a sunscreen with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Unlike chemical ingredients, these protect babies’ skin without being absorbed, and are less likely to irritate the skin.
For kids 6 months or older, look for a sunscreen designed for children with an SPF of 15 or higher. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that babies under 6 months be kept out of the sun altogether.
• Apply sunscreen at least 15 to 20 minutes before going into the sun. If your skin is already red from the sun, the damage has already started.
• Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours, or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
• Wear protective clothing such as long sleeved shirts, long pants and wide-brimmed hats.
• Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should only be used on babies over the age of six months.
• Stay out of the sun during the hottest hours of the day and seek the shade as much as possible.
May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and to celebrate we will be giving out FREE Sun Smart Skin Safe bracelets on Monday May 7th. These are fun silicone bracelets that start out white in color, but change color to blue when exposed to ultraviolet light from the sun. This way, you can have a fun visual reminder to protect you and your family’s skin all the time. And the fun doesn’t end when the sun goes down. These bracelet glows in the dark too!!
We normally sell these in the office as a fundraiser, 4 for $10 – donating the full $10 to non profit organizations that either promote skin cancer research or education. On May 7th, the bracelet is yours for FREE – but voluntarry donations to the cause are of course welcome.
We have been searching for a way to help you protect yourself from the sun when you are outdoors, wearing a helmet. I am very happy to share with you an amazing product called Da Brim. This “hat” will attach to any helmet – giving yu broad brim protection wherever life’s adventures may take you.
Protecting yourself from the sun is a great way to decrease your risk of skin cancer!
Just slide the Da Brim™ helmet visor over the top of your sports helmet, tighten the strap, and in seconds you’re ready to tackle the pavement, trail, snow, water, or the climb.
- UPF 50+ Sun Protection
- Rugged and durable to meet the needs of those who demand the best
- Easy attachment in seconds – See our installation videos
- Air flows freely through helmet vents, promoting cooling
- Patent-pending low profile design allows for secure attachment
- No modification to your helmet and no sticky adhesives
- Works with headlamps and hydration packs
- Interchangeable among helmets
- Contoured brim with longer back provides added neck sun protection
- Water repellent
- Reinforced brim edge for stability at higher speeds
- No more baseball caps that wick moisture and produce a poor fit when worn under your helmet. Da Brim™ fits on the outside of your helmet allowing a proper helmet fit and full-brimmed shade.
- Designed with different helmet styles in mind to provide good fit and coverage
We wanted to introduce our patients to our newly redesigned business card. With smart phone in hand, this QR code will bring you to http://belaray.tel From here you will be able to quickly and easily call us, schedule an appointment on-line, map our office, etc. We hope you have as much fun using our QR code as we have had designing it.
If you have a smart phone and have not yet used QR codes, visit your app store and do a quick search for readers. These QR codes are quick, useful, fun and showing up in more and more places!
QR Code design and consultancy provided by azonmobile.com